Ms. O'Connor, Mrs. Sanzone, Mrs. Brown, Ms. Arias
Welcome to our 3rd grade page and a great new school year! We are all so excited to be teaching your children!!
If at any time you need to reach your child’s teacher, the best idea would be to email them.
Mrs. Drewry: mdrewry@Waterbury.k12.ct.us
Mrs. Brown: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Sanzone email@example.com
Ms. Arias firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attendance/Tardiness: Regular attendance is very important in order for a child to succeed!
- Dress Code: Please be sure to send your child to school in dress code every day. Hoodies are not allowed.
- Cold Weather: Winter has arrived! Please be sure to send students to school wearing a winter coat, gloves and hats. We have recess outside unless the temperature is freezing.
Homework in 3rd grade:
- Students are given a literacy and a math homework packet every week. The homework packets go home on Monday and should be returned on Friday.
- Students should read for 20 minutes every night! Chapter books are suggested.
- One take home project will be assigned per marking period!
Important Educational online programs:
- iReady: iReady is an online math program that is individualized to meet the needs of each student. This program provides students with lesson plans and activities that are at the student’s instructional level. It monitors their progress and also sends us weekly reports on how the students are progressing. This program will be used at school, but should also be used at home.
- RazzKids: RAZ-Kids is an interactive reading tool for our students to practice reading fluency and comprehension. This program will be used at school, but should also be used at home as well.
3rd Grade Content:
- Fundations: This is the first year that we will be teaching Fundations in 3rd grade. Fundations is a systematic program in critical foundational skills, emphasizing:
- Phonemic awareness.
- Phonics/ word study
- High frequency word study
- Reading fluency
- Vocabulary, Comprehension strategies
- Handwriting and Spelling
- Literacy: Each unit in Literacy has an overall theme which is the focus throughout the marking period. The themes are as follows:
- Unit 1: Charter Traits
- Unit 2: Authors Purpose & message
- Unit 3: Informational Text
- Unit 4: Poetry & Plays
- Math: A lot of new topics will be covered this year in mathematics. Students will be learning topics that will be revisited as they progress through the grades. Topics we cover in 3rd grade include:
- Elapsed Time
- Word Problems
- Science: Our overall focus this year in Science is global warming! Other topics we will be covering include:
- Animal Adaptations
- Weather/Weather Patterns
- Social Studies: Topics that we will cover this year in Social Studies includes:
- Influential People