2nd Grade Teachers
Mrs. Polletta, Mrs. Klesyk, Mrs. Scanlon, Ms Leday, Ms. Rivera
Reminder: Parent-Teacher Conferences are December 6, 2017 from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. These meetings will be by appointment. A sign up notice will be sent home soon.
Welcome to second grade and an exciting new school year. We are thrilled to be teaching your children!
In second grade, we explore many exciting topics and grow together as readers, writers and mathematicians. Here are some of the topics we will learn about this year:
Reading: We will learn this year that reading is thinking! We will tackle many exciting lessons together in word study, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. We will learn how to interact with nonfiction and fiction texts and to analyze what we are reading in a deeper way. We will also practice how to write about what we are reading.
Writing: Your child will learn how to be a fabulous writer this year! We have narrative, opinion, informative, fiction and poetry units this year. Your children will also learn grammar skills such as writing complete sentences and paragraphs, editing for conventions errors, and learning all about nouns, verbs and adjectives.
Mathematics: Get ready to become a second grade mathematician! We will learn to make change, tell time to the nearest 5 minutes, addition and subtraction facts (including cool tricks to do them mentally!), geometric shapes, and even what multiplication and division are all about.
Science: Science is a very hands-on part of our day! Your children will learn about ecosystems through the use of interactive notebooks. This is a great way for your children to learn and interact with new information, as well as, review and practice skills already introduced.
Social Studies: We will learn all our communities this year! Get excited for lots of lessons about where you live, what makes a community and how people work together to live, work, play and solve problems.
Success in second grade:
- Attendance/On time arrival: Encouraging regular school attendance is one of the most powerful ways you can prepare your child for success—both in school and in life.
- Homework is assigned Monday through Thursday. Please look in your child's homework folder every night, and assist them with the completion of their homework.
- Snack time daily: please send your child with a healthy snack each day. (No candy, sweets, soda).
- Dress code: please be sure to send your child to school in dress code. Hoodies are not allowed.
- Cold weather: please send your child to school wearing a coat, hat, gloves. We have recess outside until it snows.
- Make sure your child goes to bed early. We have had students falling asleep in class.
- If you would like to meet with any of the second grade teachers, please schedule a time 24 hours in advance.
- Please practice tying shoes with your child. This is a skill that should have been mastered in kindergarten.