Parent Letter in Spanish
September 1, 2020
We welcome your children and families back during this challenging time. We hope you are well and we look forward to having your student virtually or in-person at our school. Despite the obstacles we may face, we are looking forward to this school year and the opportunity to educate your children.
In the past, we have given a suggestion of items for your child to utilize for the in-person school year. This year looks different but they are just as important. Please ensure your child:
- Wears a mask from the moment they are on school property. If your child will be taking the bus, please ensure they wear it at both the bus stop and the entire time on the bus.
- We are also asking children to bring their own reusable water bottle, as there will be no water fountains available for use in the building. We will have water bottle re-filling stations to be used at scheduled times.
- There will not be an opportunity for parents to send treats or snacks to the school. Students will be given a lunch “Grab and Go” to take home. Breakfast will also be served.
- Doors open at 8:05am, no earlier for breakfast. Dismissal begins at 12:15 pm in increments of 5 minutes starting with kindergarten and ending with 5th. We ask that if you need to pick up your child(ren) early, a note needs to be sent in to their teacher that morning.
- If your child(ren) take the bus to and from school, please remind them that they need to behave appropriately on the bus. It is for the safety of all the children and bus driver on that bus. The Durham Bus Company has a bus tracker app. This free app allows the parents to track their student’s current bus location and information about the route including the scheduled arrival time to their home. m.durhambustracker.com If you have any questions please contact the bus company directly at (203) 591-1847.
- Under no circumstances are cell phones allowed in school. If they are visible to a staff member, the phone will be confiscated. A phone call will be made to the home and a parent will have to come to the school to pick up the phone.
- If there are any changes that need to be made to your child’s student information sheet, please send in a message through Parent Square to the teacher. Changes that need to be made will not be taken over the phone.
- To schedule a meeting with the administrators we ask that you notify the office 24 hours in advance. All meetings will be held virtually through Google Meets until further notice.
- In addition, we are asking you to provide a pencil box to be stored in the students’ book bag or inside their desk. This year the majority of the work being completed will be online but there will be times they need to use writing utensils and this year there is to be no sharing with other students or staff.
- Your child’s teacher may reach out to you for additional supplies that will be unique to their classroom.
Lastly, if you were given a chrome book by the district in order to do distance learning at home, your child is expected to bring this chrome book to school every day. If the chrome book is not working, bring it to school to be replace for a working one.
Socially and emotionally, we realize this return may be a challenge for all of us. Many students might experience heightened anxiety. You are not alone and we will help you go through these unprecedented times. If you have any questions, please feel free to give our office staff a call at (203) 574-8182.
Delia Bello-Davila, PhD.