WHS Advisory Program
Advisory Day Schedule Advisory Meets Every Second Wednesday
Purpose Of Advisory
The advisory program at Wilby High School promotes meaningful relationships between staff and students while meeting the developmental and educational needs of students. “When students experience caring and connectedness at school they exhibit academic, social, and ethical benefits including greater enjoyment of learning, stronger motivation to act kindly toward others, and stronger feelings of social competence.” (Breaking Ranks, NASSP, 1996)
- COMMUNITY: The Advisory is a place to personalize and individualize the WHS education program to enhance the school’s sense of community.
- SKILLS: The Advisory is a place to support the development of life and relationship skills.
- ADVOCACY: The Advisory is a place to encourage and cultivate leadership and self-advocacy skills.
- INVIGORATION: The Advisory is a place to have fun and to learn about group process and dynamics
Roles and responsibilities of the Advisor:
- To act as coach and advocate.
- Encourage advisees to participate in the life of WHS.
- Encourage advisees to achieve their academic potential.
- Obtain answers to student’s academic and extra-curricula questions.
- Facilitate discussion of relevant topics.
- Discuss current issues in students' lives.
- Help student’s problem solve current concerns or issues.
- Help students guide other students through problems.
How it works:
- We will meet every Monday (schedule permitting-if there is no school Monday, Advisory will resume the following week)
Advisory is designed to provide:
- Every student with an advocate to help them personalize their educational experience.
- An additional structure to make sure at least one adult knows the student's aspirations, strengths, weaknesses and level of progress.
- A time to review topics and issues relevant to students.
- A place for new students to be welcomed.
- An opportunity to have questions answered by staff and peers.