Dear Waterbury Public Schools Community,
While we were hopeful to resume our hybrid learning model next Tuesday, January 19, that will not be possible based on the current health data and trends. In collaboration with Mayor Neil M. O’Leary, the City of Waterbury Department of Public Health and the Board of Education, I have made the decision to continue virtual learning until we feel that a safe return to in-person learning is possible. ALL students will continue to follow their same daily start and end times and will be in session Monday through Friday. While safeguarding the importance of student access to in-person schooling, social-emotional and nutritional needs is paramount, the health and safety of our students and staff continues to be our highest priority. We will reassess a date of return to the hybrid model as we approach the end of the second marking period on January 29.
Staff will continue to report to their respective buildings and be available to support students and collaborate with their colleagues while following appropriate mitigation strategies, such as social distancing and mask protocols.
The Food Service Department will continue to provide meals for Monday through Sunday. They will be available for pick up at the following schools Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. ALL children 18 and under can pick up (or a parent or guardian can pick up) meals, which include breakfast, lunch, a snack, supper and the fresh fruit and vegetable of the day.
- Bunker Hill Elementary School: 170 Bunker Hill Avenue
- Carrington Elementary School: 24 Kenmore Avenue
- Chase Elementary School: 40 Woodtick Road
- Crosby High School: 300 Pierpont Road
- Driggs Elementary School: 77 Woodlawn Terrace
- Duggan Elementary School: 38 West Porter Street
- Generali Elementary School: 3196 East Main Street
- Gilmartin Elementary School: 94 Spring Lake Road
- Hopeville Elementary School: 2 Cypress Street
- Kennedy High School: 422 Highland Avenue
- Kingsbury Elementary School: 220 Columbus Boulevard
- Reed Elementary School: 33 Griggs Street
- Regan Elementary School: 2780 North Main Street
- Rotella Elementary School: 380 Pierpont Road
- Sprague Elementary School: 1443 Thomaston Avenue
- Tinker Elementary School: 809 Highland Avenue
- Walsh Elementary School: 55 Dikeman Street
- Waterbury Arts Magnet School: 16 South Elm Street
- Washington Elementary School: 685 Baldwin Street
- Waterbury Career Academy: 175 Birch Street
- West Side Middle School: 483 Chase Parkway
- Wilby High School: 568 Bucks Hill Road
It is my hope that we will, through our collective efforts, return to a sense of normalcy soon. I have no doubt that we are all committed to seeing our children flourish again in school. I know my entire staff will continue to work tirelessly towards a hybrid model return as soon as it is safe.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding as we navigate through this together. Stay safe.
Verna D. Ruffin, Superintendent