Working Papers

How to Obtain Working Papers

Please review the checklist below from the State of Connecticut’s Department of Labor as to the requirements for obtaining working papers.

  • Are you at least 16 years old (15 years old for retail establishments during vacation weeks)?
  • Do you have an employer's written promise of employment?
  • Do you have proof of age such as a birth certificate, baptismal certificate, or passport?
  • Do you have your Social Security card?
  • Is the job permitted for your age according to Connecticut's laws/regulations?
  • Is the industry permitted for your age according to Connecticut's laws/regulations?
  • Are the time and hours of work permitted by law?

Notice: Until September 15, 2017, working papers can be requested on the 3rd floor of the Chase Building, 236 Grand Street in Waterbury, at the Department of Education.  Thereafter, they should be requested as described below.

If the answers to all of the above questions are "YES", take your "promise of employment" and proof of age and go to the Guidance or Counseling Office at the nearest public high school. 

  • Crosby High School – (203) 574-8070
  • Kennedy High School – (203) 574-8194
  • Waterbury Arts Magnet School – (203) 573-6311
  • Waterbury Career Academy – (203) 574-6008
  • Wilby High School - (203) 574-8105

You MUST have working papers before you start work.


CT Working Papers Manual 

For more information please refer to the following links:

Department of Labor Checklist for the Employment of Minors in Connecticut

Connecticut Labor Department Employers' Checklist for Employment of Minors

Connecticut Department of Labor Time & Hour Restrictions For 16 & 17 Year-Old Minors (By Industry)

Connecticut Department of Labor Prohibited Occupations and Places of Employment for All Minors Under the Age of 18 Years

Other links pertaining to this subject may be found here:


Waterbury Public Schools
236 Grand Street
Waterbury, CT 06702
Phone: (203) 574-8000

Fax: (203) 574-8010